Salem approves automatic expulsion for students who bring gun to school
Students who bring weapons other than guns onto school property are automatically suspended with an investigation to follow.
According to Superintendent Michael Delahanty, the policy is consistent with national regulations that consider any event sponsored and sanctioned by a school as taking place on school property.
Carney cited the possibility that a student who is properly licensed to carry a firearm could be on private property but would be subject to the consequences of the property.
"I understand the explanation, but still have a hard time rationalizing how we can go on private property that is open to the public and say no one can bring a gun (if it is legally licensed)," said Carney.
"It doesn't suggest that there is a consequence for anyone other than a student carrying a weapon onto school property," said Delahanty.
Carney voted for the policy but said there could still be a potential legal firstname.lastname@example.org
READER COMMENTS: 0
- School group favors opening JROTC at Nashua high school - 0
- Athletics Dept. employee at UNH fired over 'invasion of privacy' - 0
- Loeb School spring classes include travel writing - 0
- Windham ready to open a 'Little Shop of Horrors' - 0
- Salem to decide fate of $75m school proposal - 0
- Allenstown parents mobilize to stave off $1 million school budget cut - 0
- Busy week for voters in Hollis, Brookline - 0
- Nashua to debate school spending - 0
- Test scores tell tale of one city, several towns - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 3
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again