Salem approves automatic expulsion for students who bring gun to school
Students who bring weapons other than guns onto school property are automatically suspended with an investigation to follow.
According to Superintendent Michael Delahanty, the policy is consistent with national regulations that consider any event sponsored and sanctioned by a school as taking place on school property.
Carney cited the possibility that a student who is properly licensed to carry a firearm could be on private property but would be subject to the consequences of the property.
"I understand the explanation, but still have a hard time rationalizing how we can go on private property that is open to the public and say no one can bring a gun (if it is legally licensed)," said Carney.
"It doesn't suggest that there is a consequence for anyone other than a student carrying a weapon onto school property," said Delahanty.
Carney voted for the policy but said there could still be a potential legal email@example.com
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Florida State's Winston captures Heisman Trophy by a landslide - 0
- College Football: UNH in FCS semifinals for first time ever - 2
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU men cagers can't hold big lead against Merrimack - 1
- Good-natured talk leads to friendly bet in UNH game - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Hard work paid off for UNH coaches - 0
- College Football: UNH on a business trip - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats have come a long way - 1
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383