Home » News » Public Safety
Volunteers join search for Abby Hernandez
Liz Birne of Connecticut K9 Search and Rescue pauses with her search dog, Galen, near Pudding Pond in Conway on Saturday. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
They were searching for personal items that her mother said she likely had with her when she disappeared: an oversized camouflage-colored book bag, a cream-colored purse, and a silver-colored necklace with a heart-shaped pendant that has a blue stone in it.
They searched places that might not have been covered by other law enforcement agencies looking for the teen last seen Oct. 9 — Echo Lake State Park, the Kancamagus Highway, West Side Road, and areas around the Saco River.
After three days of searching, the group packed up and left the area Sunday, having found nothing to help the investigation, Tate said.
But Tate left behind a message of hope. "Our motto is 'we never give up,' and these people have no reason to give up now," he said.
"There are so many possible reasons to explain why she hasn't been found yet," Tate said. "Sometimes kids this age have psychological issues. Sometimes they need some time away. Sometimes they are abducted, but sometimes they've just run away with friends somewhere."
Tate said he met with Zanya Hernandez, Abigail's mother, for three hours on Thursday, adding details to the police reports the group had already been given.
Tate's teams, made up of search teams from New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island, also covered areas around the North-South Road and Pudding Pond, along the route the girl was believed to have been walking the day she left Kennett High School.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing