Utility says it would bury power lines for project in Vermont
But critics said TDI New England's proposal not only disproves that claim, but could place Northern Pass out of the bidding since New England Clean Power Link would provide comparable energy to the New England market — without the community and political opposition Northern Pass has engendered.
"Northern Pass stands alone as the only project in New England that requires no customer subsidy and will bring clean, low-cost hydro power along with direct and substantial economic benefits to New Hampshire," he said.
Conservation Law Foundation staff attorney Christophe Courchesne said TDI New England's proposal "dispels many of the misleading arguments Northern Pass has made for avoiding taking the project underground that would make it much more acceptable to communities."
Gov. Hassan, who has criticized Northern Pass for discounting innovative technologies in favor of old transmission methods that could harm the state, believes the state must address long-term energy needs in ways that protect the state and region's scenic beauty and tourism-driven economy, her spokesman said.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Fetal homicide: A compromise at last? - 4
- Freedom & discovery: A mathematician gets noticed - 0
- Preventing Newtown: Background checks won’t - 29
- Taunting taxpayers: Manchester teachers union won’t budge - 35
- Insurance choices: Shaheen, Shea-Porter, Kuster mislead - 19
- Looking for Abigail: Public can help find her - 3
- Riding lessons: DRED improves horse rules - 5
- Pray for safety: The state did not provide it - 15
- Big league gambling: AG makes right call on casinos - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 1
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan