Strong winds cut power to thousands across New Hampshire
The winds began picking up early this morning, bringing down trees and power lines in several locations around the state.
As of noontime, Public Service of New Hampshire reported 5,976 customers without power. Other outages included 1,209 New Hampshire Electric Co-op customers, 115 Unitil customers, and 92 customers from Liberty Utilities.
Wind advisories were posted for the entire state until early evening for southwest winds of 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
The strongest winds are expected during the afternoon as a front moves through and should begin to ease up after 4 p.m., according to Mike Ekster, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
Some of the strongest winds are expected to occur in hilly areas and the mountains.
"I continue to expect scattered tree damage and scattered power outages," Ekster said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 2
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 4
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too