Strong winds cut power to thousands across New Hampshire
The winds began picking up early this morning, bringing down trees and power lines in several locations around the state.
As of noontime, Public Service of New Hampshire reported 5,976 customers without power. Other outages included 1,209 New Hampshire Electric Co-op customers, 115 Unitil customers, and 92 customers from Liberty Utilities.
Wind advisories were posted for the entire state until early evening for southwest winds of 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
The strongest winds are expected during the afternoon as a front moves through and should begin to ease up after 4 p.m., according to Mike Ekster, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine.
Some of the strongest winds are expected to occur in hilly areas and the mountains.
"I continue to expect scattered tree damage and scattered power outages," Ekster said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison - 2
- Summit of Mount Washington white with rime ice, snow to follow soon - 0
- Storms in Meredith cause outages - 0
- USGS reports minor earthquake just outside of Concord - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
- Hollis storm damage caused by microburst, not tornado - 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0