Home » Sports » College Sports
College Hockey: Wildcats fall to Lowell
The River Hawks messed up UNH's start to the Hockey East portion of its 2013-14 schedule on Friday night, too.
Lowell pulled away with a pair of goals in a span of 23 seconds just past the midway point of the third period and went on to a 5-3 win over the Wildcats at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass.
UNH lost its third straight game and fell to 1-4-0.
Ryan McGrath beat UNH goalie Casey DeSmith, the junior from Rochester, on a breakaway with 8:08 left in the third period to give his team a 4-2 lead.
UNH senior forward Nick Sorkin scored the game's final goal with 19 seconds to play.
DeSmith finished wth 22 saves and sophomore Connor Hellebuyck had 34 for Lowell.
Hockey East has expanded to 11 teams with the addition of Notre Dame this season and teams are only playing each other twice. In the past, they have played three times.
Lowell answered quickly with a Josh Hallstrom power play goal at 8:25 with UNH's Kevin Goumas serving a penalty for interference.
Lowell upped its lead to 3-1 on a Jake Suter goal 8:15 into the second period.
Goumas scored on the power play with 2:38 left in the second period to cut the lead to 3-2. Matt Willows and Eric Knodel had assists.
- - - - - - -
UNH won all three regular season games games against the River Hawks last year. The Wildcats beat Lowell 5-2 in Durham and 3-0 and 5-2 in Lowell. The series wrapped up last year on Dec. 1. . . . Lowell went on a nine-game win streak after the Dec. 1 loss to UNH and ended up winning its first Hockey East regular season championship and first league tournament title, too.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New squadron operations building at Pease ANG base opens - 0
- Military says ordnance blast killed four U.S. Marines in California - 0
- Pakistani Taliban chief killed in drone strike, possibly scuttling peace talks - 0
- USS Alexandria arrives at Portsmouth shipyard - 0
- Officials say U.S. commandos capture al Qaeda leader in Libya, also raid Somalia - 3
- Russia, U.S. set deal on Syria - 7
- Kerry demands Syria keep its weapons pledge - 31
- Diplomatic efforts intensify on corralling Syrian chemical arms - 0
- Boston bombing victims to be remembered at 9/11 event in Rindge - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Boychuk’s status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Win tickets to see Monster Jam
John DiStaso's Granite Status: In DC, Bass meets with McConnell, other key Republicans, as he weighs US Senate run
Swing set smoking: Derry considers a ban
Reid's rules: Politics before principle
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list