Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Manchester Alderman At Large Q&A
1) What is the most important issue facing the city?
2) Do you support hiring additional police officers? If so, how would you propose funding the positions?
3) What are your thoughts on the tax cap?
Occupation: Electrician/Construction Consultant
Relevant experience: I currently serve as an Alderman-at-Large. I have served as the Ward 4 Alderman and also served in the NH State Senate
2) I do support hiring additional police officers. We should begin by applying for every federal grant that we are eligible for.
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Occupation: Owner of Theo's, attorney, register of probate
Relevant experience: Property owner, restaurant owner, attorney, father, incumbent
1) The lack of trust that government is providing us with adequate protection from an ever increasing crime problem; the tools necessary to provide our children with an adequate education necessary for the 21st century; the never ending burden placed on businesses; and the lack of trust citizens have that laws apply equally to Manchester law enforcement as they do to ordinary citizens.
Occupation: President, Aspen Insurance Agency
Relevant experience: Six-term state representative; business owner; service on a number of not-for-profit organizations; 2013 Charter Commission; experience in real estate and finance.
2) I would support hiring officers that will focus on the out-of-control drug problem in the city. The new officers would have to be dedicated to this endeavor and be very aggressive in areas where drug sales are being conducted. The criminals must get the message that their days are numbered in the city. We cannot let the current drug-related crime become the new normal. I would use a combination of federal grants and some of the savings from continued health insurance savings to fund the additional officers.
Occupation: Car rental agent at the Manchester Airport
Relevant experience: I have lived in my memere's hometown of Manchester for five years. I formerly substitute taught within the Manchester school system and worked at a hotel in the city limits. I have voted in all local elections and even ran for state representative for Ward 4 in 2008.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Newly elected Manchester school board member sues ex-employer, the city school district, over firing - 26
- Beauchamp to seek recount in Manchester Ward 12 alderman race - 1
- Manchester Mayor Gatsas: I kept it positive in election campaign - 13
- Mayor's salary hike proposal called factor in city charter defeat - 4
- Winning Nashua Board of Education candidates weigh Common Core effect - 1
- Election marks a new era in Nashua - 0
- Claremont reelects incumbents, approves charter commission - 0
- Mix-up changes outcome of Dover school board race: Soule McCammon wins - 0
- Editor of free newspaper elected mayor of Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice