Home » News » Public Safety
Man who fell 25 feet at dam in Pittsfield found 7 hours later
Acting Fire Chief Nicholas Abell said the man, a resident of Barnstead believed to be in his mid-30s, told first responders he was taking a picture at the dam when he dropped his phone about 8 p.m.
"Some neighbors finally at 3 a.m. heard his cries for help and went down to investigate," Abell said. "They found him at the bottom."
The Pittsfield rescuers called for help from Concord's fire department, which has the right training and equipment to do a "high-angle rescue," he said. Rescuers hooked up ropes to the bucket of a ladder truck and lowered a firefighter and Stokes basket to where the injured man lay.
Abell said the man was lucky someone heard his cries for help and went looking. "He was in a bad spot. If nobody heard him, he'd probably still be there," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth