Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously hurt when struck by car while attempting to cross Route 125
Rescue personnel attend to a man who was struck by a car while attempting to cross Route 125 in Epping on Saturday night. (JASON SCHREIBER)
The accident happened around 7 p.m. near the entrance to McDonald’s.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed the man, identified as Robert Whiteside, 36, whose last known address was in Nashua, was crossing the four-lane highway when he was struck by a vehicle traveling northbound.
Witnesses at the scene said that Whiteside was seen walking around the McDonald's parking lot with a boy and was stumbling around before the accident.
Officer Jonathan Swift said alcohol is believed to have been a contributing factor.
After spending a short time in the parking lot, Whiteside and the boy walked toward the McDonald’s entrance and then out onto the busy highway.
Swift said Whiteside was attempting to cross the highway to reach a vehicle he had been traveling in that broke down. Swift said police are investigating whether Whiteside had operated the vehicle.
Whiteside was struck in the middle of the highway by a vehicle driven by David Spingarn, 60, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Spingarn was not injured and immediately stopped to render aid, Swift said.
The boy also was not hurt. Several passersby rushed over to assist Whiteside until police and Epping rescue personnel arrived.
Swift said Whiteside suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Elliot Hospital in Manchester by Epping Ambulance. His condition wasn’t known Saturday night.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to call the Epping Police Department at 679-5122.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help