Home » News » Public Safety
Man seriously hurt when struck by car while attempting to cross Route 125
Rescue personnel attend to a man who was struck by a car while attempting to cross Route 125 in Epping on Saturday night. (JASON SCHREIBER)
The accident happened around 7 p.m. near the entrance to McDonald’s.
Police said a preliminary investigation showed the man, identified as Robert Whiteside, 36, whose last known address was in Nashua, was crossing the four-lane highway when he was struck by a vehicle traveling northbound.
Witnesses at the scene said that Whiteside was seen walking around the McDonald's parking lot with a boy and was stumbling around before the accident.
Officer Jonathan Swift said alcohol is believed to have been a contributing factor.
After spending a short time in the parking lot, Whiteside and the boy walked toward the McDonald’s entrance and then out onto the busy highway.
Swift said Whiteside was attempting to cross the highway to reach a vehicle he had been traveling in that broke down. Swift said police are investigating whether Whiteside had operated the vehicle.
Whiteside was struck in the middle of the highway by a vehicle driven by David Spingarn, 60, of Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Spingarn was not injured and immediately stopped to render aid, Swift said.
The boy also was not hurt. Several passersby rushed over to assist Whiteside until police and Epping rescue personnel arrived.
Swift said Whiteside suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Elliot Hospital in Manchester by Epping Ambulance. His condition wasn’t known Saturday night.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed the accident is asked to call the Epping Police Department at 679-5122.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test