NH College Notebook: UNH and Dartmouth set to renew football rivalry
The game against Dartmouth is one of six games UNH will play at Cowell Stadium in 2014, the school announced Friday with the release of next season's schedule.
The schedule also features six home games and a game in Elon, N.C., against Elon University, which joins UNH in the Colonial Athletic Association next season.
"We're excited to have Dartmouth back on the schedule," said UNH deputy director of athletics Steve Metcalf. "We've long considered it as a game the two schools should be playing against each other. We think it's a game that's good for both of us."
A home game against Lehigh is the other nonconference matchup, along with Dartmouth and Toledo.
Tom Wilkins has been named associate director of athletics at Southern New Hampshire University, SNHU Director of Athletics and Recreation Anthony Fallacaro announced Wednesday.Wilkins, who is currently the associate athletic director for communications at the University of New Hampshire, will begin his duties later this month. "I want to thank Anthony Fallacaro, the search committee and the entire athletic staff at Southern New Hampshire University for this opportunity," said Wilkins. "I felt extremely welcomed by everyone and I'm excited to hit the ground running. I look forward to the opportunity to work together with the student-athletes, coaches, fans, supporters, alumni and the greater Penmen community."
Mark Miller and Mary Proulx of Keene State College joined Moses Jean-Pierre and Kim (Jeffs) Popieniek of Plymouth State University as recent inductees into the Little East Conference Hall of Fame.
A basketball guard, Jean-Pierre is Plymouth State's all-time scoring leader and is 16th overall in Division III history with 2,483 points.
One of the top pitchers in Division III collegiate softball history, Popieniek represented Plymouth State on All-America teams in 2002 and 2003. In 115 games, she posted a career record of 66-36 with an earned run average of 0.86 and 38 shutouts.
Senior Jenni Roberts and junior Nicole Zahka of the University of New Hampshire women's swimming & diving team claimed America East Swimmer and Diver of the Week awards.Roberts notched a trio of first-place individual wins, fueling the Wildcats to a 167-128 victory over Northeastern last Saturday.Zahka recorded personal bests in both the 1-meter (247.20 points for third place) and 3-meter (250.40 for second) events.
Freshman goalkeeper Mimi Borkan of the University of New Hampshire women's soccer team was named a member of the 2013 America East Women's Soccer All-Rookie squad.
Junior Hannah Blondin and senior Colleen Murray (Bedford) were tabbed to the All-Academic Team.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Notebook: Season looks bright for NH's Division II men's hoop teams - 0
- NH College Notebook: UNH and Dartmouth set to renew football rivalry - 0
- NH College Notebook: Butcher's retirement will mark the end of an era at KCS - 0
- NH College Notebook: Bedford's Turner starts fast for Quinnipiac women skaters - 0
- NH College Notebook: Former NH runners pace No. 6 Georgetown - 0
- NH College Notebook: St. Anselm, SNHU to battle in nationally televised game - 0
- NH College Notebook: Milford's Andrews collects ACC award - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan