Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives)
But those statistics don't hit home like the personal stories of local lives changed by heart disease. Event Chairman Mike L'Ecuyer, of Bellwether Community Credit Union is involved because he lost a sister to heart disease. Emcee Heather Bishop will share how she greatly reduced her own chances of heart disease and stroke. Her participation in the BetterU, 12-week heart healthy makeover helped transform the WZID afternoon DJ into a lean, mean running machine and shadow of her former self.
I am giving away a pair of tickets to see a documentary about skier Shane McConkey, to be screened at Portsmouth's Music Hall on Friday, the 15th. "McConkey" is described by producers as, "a heartfelt examination of the legacy he left to the progression of his sports, and the path he paved to conquer his dreams."
You can win the tickets by sending me an email with your contact information sometime before Thursday, Nov. 7, at midnight. I will draw a winner at random.
Ski and board safely
Even though most of us do not take Shane McConkey-level risks on the slopes, skiers and boarders of all ages are at risk for injury, even at Mighty Mac. Former professional snowboarder Kevin Pearce will be in Manchester on Wednesday, sharing just how dangerous his sport can be.
Pearce's story of recovery and "love your brain" message is perfect for supporters of The Moore Center, which has served people with intellectual, developmental and personal challenges for more than 50 years.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
The SEE Science Center is always fun for kids with their grown-ups, but Tuesday the nonprofit is teaming up with The Shaskeen Pub on Elm Street for the first in a series of monthly grown-ups-only science cafés.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 2
- Patriots stun Cleveland in another wild comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats need to avoid the drama - 0
- Brady to suspicious Texan: Pats 'just played better' - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Not half bad - 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Champagne dream leads to job applicant’s arrest - 1
- Wanted Vermont man evading capture allegedly tried to run over officer - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- AG: Failed suicide attempt led to expectant couple's deaths - 5
- Glitches tied to Medicaid rollout now resolved, officials say - 0
- Rockingham County Attorney files lawsuit to access office, but doors remain locked - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Former Ambassador Bolton criticizes Kuster's 'lack of knowledge' on Libya - 3
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Top NH political pros to head new Boston office of nationally-known consulting firm
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal