Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives)
But those statistics don't hit home like the personal stories of local lives changed by heart disease. Event Chairman Mike L'Ecuyer, of Bellwether Community Credit Union is involved because he lost a sister to heart disease. Emcee Heather Bishop will share how she greatly reduced her own chances of heart disease and stroke. Her participation in the BetterU, 12-week heart healthy makeover helped transform the WZID afternoon DJ into a lean, mean running machine and shadow of her former self.
I am giving away a pair of tickets to see a documentary about skier Shane McConkey, to be screened at Portsmouth's Music Hall on Friday, the 15th. "McConkey" is described by producers as, "a heartfelt examination of the legacy he left to the progression of his sports, and the path he paved to conquer his dreams."
You can win the tickets by sending me an email with your contact information sometime before Thursday, Nov. 7, at midnight. I will draw a winner at random.
Ski and board safely
Even though most of us do not take Shane McConkey-level risks on the slopes, skiers and boarders of all ages are at risk for injury, even at Mighty Mac. Former professional snowboarder Kevin Pearce will be in Manchester on Wednesday, sharing just how dangerous his sport can be.
Pearce's story of recovery and "love your brain" message is perfect for supporters of The Moore Center, which has served people with intellectual, developmental and personal challenges for more than 50 years.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
The SEE Science Center is always fun for kids with their grown-ups, but Tuesday the nonprofit is teaming up with The Shaskeen Pub on Elm Street for the first in a series of monthly grown-ups-only science cafés.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'