Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives)
But those statistics don't hit home like the personal stories of local lives changed by heart disease. Event Chairman Mike L'Ecuyer, of Bellwether Community Credit Union is involved because he lost a sister to heart disease. Emcee Heather Bishop will share how she greatly reduced her own chances of heart disease and stroke. Her participation in the BetterU, 12-week heart healthy makeover helped transform the WZID afternoon DJ into a lean, mean running machine and shadow of her former self.
I am giving away a pair of tickets to see a documentary about skier Shane McConkey, to be screened at Portsmouth's Music Hall on Friday, the 15th. "McConkey" is described by producers as, "a heartfelt examination of the legacy he left to the progression of his sports, and the path he paved to conquer his dreams."
You can win the tickets by sending me an email with your contact information sometime before Thursday, Nov. 7, at midnight. I will draw a winner at random.
Ski and board safely
Even though most of us do not take Shane McConkey-level risks on the slopes, skiers and boarders of all ages are at risk for injury, even at Mighty Mac. Former professional snowboarder Kevin Pearce will be in Manchester on Wednesday, sharing just how dangerous his sport can be.
Pearce's story of recovery and "love your brain" message is perfect for supporters of The Moore Center, which has served people with intellectual, developmental and personal challenges for more than 50 years.
NH365.ORG Event of the Week
The SEE Science Center is always fun for kids with their grown-ups, but Tuesday the nonprofit is teaming up with The Shaskeen Pub on Elm Street for the first in a series of monthly grown-ups-only science cafés.
If you have an interesting item for Scene in Manchester, write to Scene@UnionLeader.com.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Calling all area Muchachos - 0
- Scene in Manchester: Runners get ready to travel back in time - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Bootcamp takes chocolate to a new level - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Dinner offers delicious way to honor local farmers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Cyclists work to ride safely on city streets - 1
- Scene in Manchester: We're getting older, and it's time for NH to talk about it - 3
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Sing (even badly) for a truly great cause - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Time to lace up and hit the road - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox