NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
"It is very much part of New Hampshire culture. We are still oriented to the outdoors and value that connection to the natural world," state Fish and Game Department spokesman Jane Vachon said.
Hunters will find a healthy deer herd this year with an estimated 85,000 white-tail deer in the state, Vachon said.
"The increase at this point in the season is likely the result of the mild winter in 2012-2013 and favorable hunting conditions," Fish and Game Deer Project Leader Dan Bergeron said.
Wildlife experts urge hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to wear a piece of blaze orange apparel when they head outdoors during hunting season. A fluorescent hat, vest or jacket are highly visible and are proven to decrease hunting incidents, they said.
Motorists should watch out for deer crossing roads — particularly at dawn and dusk — with deer mating season underway, state conservation officials advise.
Deer are creatures of habit; if you've seen them cross the road at a certain spot, slow down and use caution driving in that area, officials say. If you see one deer, watch out for others.
- Triple-bill comedy in Laconia Saturday - 0
- Keene gallery explores artistic experiences among American artists of African descent - 0
- Ben Laine to perform at the Rochester Opera House - 0
- Kim Simmons and Savoy Brown rock Tupelo Saturday - 0
- Tomie dePaola to be celebrated at Colby-Sawyer - 0
- 10th annual Portsmouth Fairy Tour flits into Seacoast - 0
- Houston Ballet II will perform in Durham - 0
- Hanover artist Bob Shannahan on display in Meriden - 0
- Comedian Paula Poundstone returns to NH with stop in Concord - 0
Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop cultureREADER COMMENTS: 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Currier Museum showcases impossible possibilities by M.C. Escher, who inspired generations of pop culture
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too