Berlin girls crush three-time defending champs to take field hockey crown
"The pressure was all on Derryfield," said Berlin head coach Nicole Arguin. "They were the No. 1 seed, undefeated and had not allowed a goal all season. They were expected to win."
"Our focus today was not getting another shutout, it was simply to win the state title," he said. "The shutout streak we had going was just a by-product of the season. Give Berlin credit. They kept beating us to the ball and they caught us on our heels."
"We pride ourselves on being a very competitive program," said Arguin. "Our girls work hard and today they were determined to win the state title."
"We knew Derryfield's strength was up the middle," said Arguin. "We just told our girls to attack up the sidelines and keep the ball away from their top players in the middle."
"The first goal gave us confidence and we managed to keep the momentum the rest of the game," said Arguin. Dandeneau made it 3-0 at the 22:36 mark and Jenna Arguin capped off the scoring with 5:01 left. Chelsey Caron and Jill Williams each had an assist in the win. Berlin freshman goalie Julie Downs was outstanding with seven saves as Berlin captured its 12th season shutout.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false