Derry middle school students show veterans that gratitude never gets old
"It chokes me up every time I come to this; I walk out with tears in my eyes," said Vietnam veteran Bruce Alger, who has been to every breakfast except for one. "It's just a really gripping experience, to see these kids do this for us. Don't tell me there isn't any hope for the youth of America. Here's your proof right here."
At one point, students walked around the gymnasium to hand each veteran in attendance an American flag. The flags were folded by the seventh- and eighth-grade members of West Running Brook's Kids Care Club, said Audrey Allen, a teacher and adviser to the club.
"We appreciate each and every one of you and thank you for your sacrifice, for your sense of duty, and for your service," Allen said.
A number of other awards were given out, including the Spirit of America Award. The award is handed out each year to people in the community who have made a difference for veterans.
She also praised West Running Brook students and staff for honoring veterans and service members in the community.
After the breakfast and salute ended, some veterans gathered to shake hands with old friends and share memories.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Minimum wages: Maximum spin - 13
- A CIA bombshell: Feinstein and the Fourth - 1
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings being evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal