Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Manchester Mayor Gatsas: I kept it positive in election campaign
Gatsas won 52 percent — 8,106 votes — to the 46 percent — 7,163 votes — garnered by Alderman Patrick Arnold, who less than a year ago was a scarcely known political figure in the city.
In interpreting Tuesday’s results, other Republican leaders have pointed the record low turnout, and at least one acknowledged that the Democrats had a good ground game, in part the product of the 2012 presidential campaign.
Despite the relatively close race for mayor, the balance of power on the boards of aldermen and school committee largely stayed the same. The only elected incumbent to lose his seat was Ward 10 Republican Alderman Phil Greazzo, who lost to Democrat Bill Barry. However, the Republicans appear to have gained a seat on the aldermanic board in Ward 12 with the narrow loss of Roger Beauchamp to Keith Hirschmann. Beauchamp plans to seek a recount.
“I think a lot of people are just sick and tired of people bashing politicians. They don’t want to get involved,” Lopez said. “It is what it is. The people got elected who got elected, and they’re going to make the decisions about what’s best for the city.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too