Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Manchester Mayor Gatsas: I kept it positive in election campaign
Gatsas won 52 percent — 8,106 votes — to the 46 percent — 7,163 votes — garnered by Alderman Patrick Arnold, who less than a year ago was a scarcely known political figure in the city.
In interpreting Tuesday’s results, other Republican leaders have pointed the record low turnout, and at least one acknowledged that the Democrats had a good ground game, in part the product of the 2012 presidential campaign.
Despite the relatively close race for mayor, the balance of power on the boards of aldermen and school committee largely stayed the same. The only elected incumbent to lose his seat was Ward 10 Republican Alderman Phil Greazzo, who lost to Democrat Bill Barry. However, the Republicans appear to have gained a seat on the aldermanic board in Ward 12 with the narrow loss of Roger Beauchamp to Keith Hirschmann. Beauchamp plans to seek a recount.
“I think a lot of people are just sick and tired of people bashing politicians. They don’t want to get involved,” Lopez said. “It is what it is. The people got elected who got elected, and they’re going to make the decisions about what’s best for the city.”
READER COMMENTS: 1
- State asked to re-evaluate Livermore Falls settlement deal - 0
- Livermore 'friends' pleased with potential settlement from Groton Wind project - 1
- Groton Wind sound tests pass muster for committee - 1
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner