Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Newly elected Manchester school board member sues ex-employer, the city school district, over firing
Van Houten won the election for the Ward 12 school board seat over Christine Duffley 504 votes to 460, or by 4 percentage points. Van Houten was backed by the city Democrats, while Duffley was supported by the Republicans.
Duffley, Van Houten's opponent, said she was "shocked and saddened" to learn about the legal action. "I believed Connie to be a sincere person. It would appear this might be a conflict of interest to be on the board," she said.
On June 4, at the end of the school year, Van Houten alleges she met with two supervisors to discuss "her concerns and the retaliation she had been subjected to." Van Houten indicated that she expected to return to her job in the fall, but was told she wouldn't be informed of the schedule until August. The co-director at that time gave her a "positive reference," according to the suit.
The suit raises the likelihood that Van Houten herself will be on the board when it is asked to review the case.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 64
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 4
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 56
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 57
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test