Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Newly elected Manchester school board member sues ex-employer, the city school district, over firing
Van Houten won the election for the Ward 12 school board seat over Christine Duffley 504 votes to 460, or by 4 percentage points. Van Houten was backed by the city Democrats, while Duffley was supported by the Republicans.
Duffley, Van Houten's opponent, said she was "shocked and saddened" to learn about the legal action. "I believed Connie to be a sincere person. It would appear this might be a conflict of interest to be on the board," she said.
On June 4, at the end of the school year, Van Houten alleges she met with two supervisors to discuss "her concerns and the retaliation she had been subjected to." Van Houten indicated that she expected to return to her job in the fall, but was told she wouldn't be informed of the schedule until August. The co-director at that time gave her a "positive reference," according to the suit.
The suit raises the likelihood that Van Houten herself will be on the board when it is asked to review the case.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- What Bartlett left: A Founding Father mostly forgotten - 1
- Hang Havenstein! He once quoted the President - 3
- Obama's priority: Raising money - 35
- Hey, bear: That ain't Fozzie - 0
- Obama's debt: His real legacy is coming - 11
- Paying for Medicaid: How will NH do it? - 40
- Into the woods: With knowledge and tools - 3
- Derry's brand: It is not 'Space Town USA' - 2
- Potatoes and taxes: A glimpse at what we pay - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester gas station robbed; Police: Could be one in string - 0
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 0
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 7
- On Baseball: NH's Anderson glad to be back - 0
- Republican congressional candidate Lambert says he'd serve only 3 terms - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- You Turn, NH -- Suellen Griffin: There is first aid for mental health, too, and it works - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Beware of naysayers - 0
DWI License Revocations
Market Basket shelves growing bare
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back