Granite Staters fly out to Phillipines to help after typhoon
"Our contact on the ground are saying at last count, the storm had killed four people," said Whitten. "But they also said the phones are out, and it's hard to know the extent of the damage and destruction. Unfortunately, I think that number (of dead) could go up once people can get around and survey the situation."
New Hampshire Red Cross spokesperson Lisa Michaud said Friday that Red Cross volunteers in areas where the typhoon had already made landfall were reporting significant damage although a clearer picture will only emerge once the storm subsides and communications are restored.
Although the eye of the Typhoon Haiyan is not expected to make landfall on the island of Bohol, Whitten said severe weather and heavy rains accompanying the storm are expected to worsen the situation for survivors of the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that struck in mid-October. With their homes damaged or destroyed, some 270,000 people in Bohol are living in makeshift shelters.
"At that point, they'll assess the situation on the ground," said Whitten. "They will likely return at that point, unless it would be more beneficial if they stayed and helped."
Vision International Missions is an interdenominational, nonprofit, Christian mission organization. Anyone wishing to help with the efforts can send donations to: Vision International Missions, 400 Bedford St, Suite 304, Manchester, NH 03101.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Bail set at $20,000 for Holiday Inn Express robbery suspect - 0
- Deering couple arrested in violent beating, kidnapping of Bennington woman - 1
- Nashua driver rejects plea deal in hit-and-run negligent homicide case - 0
- UPDATED: Distracted by dog, woman downs two utility poles on Manchester’s Varney Street - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 12
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 13
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 5
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance