Celebrating patriotism at Hampstead Central
Hampstead Central School fourth-grader Quinn Calder, 9, sings the "Star-Spangled Banner" at a Veterans' Day assembly held at the school Friday. (JASON SCHREIBER/Union Leader Correspondent)
"They help our community," she said before belting out a flawless rendition of the national anthem and then running over to give her mom, Renee, a big hug when she was done.
"It's really about being grateful to the veterans and showing gratitude," said Cindi Verrill, the school's music teacher and assembly organizer.
"I think it's the culture of the school. The culture of the school is really about citizenship and that comes from the staff and the administration," Verrill said.
Air Force veteran Benjamin Davine, 27, was killed in 2011 when his car collided with a fuel tanker while traveling to work at a military base. Davine's death followed the deaths of Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino, a Marine from Hampstead who was killed in Afghanistan in 2006, and Army Capt. Jonathan D. Grassbaugh, who died in 2007 in a roadside bombing in Iraq. Grassbaugh was the son of Hampstead Middle School Principal Patti Grassbaugh.
Wearing his dress blue uniform, retired Marine sergeant Brett Cate of Hampstead attended the assembly and then visited his daughter's second-grade classroom.
"The whole town is so patriotic and that's super important to me. I love Hampstead for that reason," Cate said.
"I think it's awesome," she said.
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 13
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
- Thomas Sowell: Fraudulent stats behind 'equal pay' claims - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: The left's arrogant groupthink - 0
- Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime - 10
- Pat Buchanan: What would Reagan do with Russia, Syria, etc.? - 6
- Barbara Couch: Why NH students need Common Core's higher standards - 1
Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployedREADER COMMENTS: 3
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- Student brings knife into Nashua school - 0
- Ex-director jailed for theft from Londonderry nursery school - 1
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Anonymous email was 'malicious,' says Auburn police commissioner - 0
- Senate votes to ban hand-held cellphone use in cars; bill heads back to House - 10
- Auburn town administrator under fire - 0
- Belmont High likely will keep Red Raider mascot - 3
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'
Derry woman accused of burglaries
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start