Another View -- Patrick Bick: I was embarrassed by my government's treatment of vets
Citing the government shutdown, the World War ll Memorial was "closed." The memorial is a circular plaza where visitors simply walk around to read the tributes to the men who defeated Hitler and Hirohito. No federal employees are needed for people to access the plaza. Virtually every day of the shutdown members of the "Greatest Generation," men in their 80s and 90s, arrive to see the monument that recognizes their service. The fact that they were being threatened with arrest was disgusting.
The worst thing this administration did was to deny death benefits to the families of our fallen heroes in Afghanistan. They were also being told that they had to pay their own way to Dover Air Force Base, where the caskets containing the bodies of our soldiers return home from the battlefield. Congressional Republicans were furious; Democrats were nowhere to be found. Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., R-Calif., had it right. He called the administration's decision "boneheaded," adding that it was an "in your face, middle finger to the military families." The same administration that couldn't find the money for soldiers' death benefits apparently had the cash to keep Big Bird on the air and fund Planned Parenthood.
Patrick Bick is a Republican state representative from Salem.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children