Home » News » Public Safety
Laconia police investigate suspicious vehicle fire
LACONIA - Laconia and Gilford police were busy tracking a suspected arsonist following a report of a suspicious vehicle fire late Sunday night.
Police were using a K9 officer to track the trail of at least one suspect, leading away from the fire in the area of Court and Fair streets. The trail headed through downtown Laconia.
At 11:15 p.m., police could not say whether the vehicle fire was linked to a string of suspicious fires in Laconia in recent weeks. Police and fire officials have been kept busy investigating a dozen suspicious fires, one that caused close to $2 million in damage, over a six-week period beginning Sept. 22, with the most recent occurring in the early morning hours on Oct. 30.
The first fire happened about 2:30 a.m. on Sept. 22 at the Skate Escape, 161 Court St., a 60,000-square-foot building that housed several other businesses including Northeast Electrical Solutions, Little Caesar's Pizza, ABC Fabrication and the linen laundry facility for Lakes Region General Hospital.
About 4-1/2 hours later that same morning and about 1,000 feet away, another building caught fire on Bay Street that firefighters quickly extinguished.
On Sept. 28 at 2:16 a.m., a fire was reported at Pitman Freight Room, 94 New Salem St., not far from the Laconia police station.
Simultaneously, three other fires were reported in a Dumpster, a shed and fence in an alley within 500 feet of a jazz club.
That same night at 8:48 p.m., the vacant Christmas Island Resort Motel was heavily damaged in another multi-alarm blaze that caused an estimated $600,000 in damage. At 3 a.m. on Oct. 30, fire struck the Pitman Freight Room for the second time.
In all, there have been 12 separate fires — four of them multi-alarm blazes. All but one of them — the Christmas Island Motel fire — took place between 2 and 3 a.m. in the downtown area of the city.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus