Home » News » Public Safety
Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire
Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.
A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.
Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.
Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.
Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hassan vetoes bill to impose 'politeness' standards on public employees - 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 6
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 2
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 5
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 5
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail