Police warn drivers to watch out for deer on roadways
“At this time of year there are very few days that we don’t have at least one deer accident,” said State Police Lt. Chris Vetter of Troop A in Epping.
Fish and Game Conservation Officer Chris McKee said collisions between vehicles and deer usually pick up during the first two weeks of November.
McKee said he saw more collisions a few weeks ago than he has over the past week, although he did respond to one in Hooksett and another in Salem on Wednesday.
Epping Police Capt. Jason Newman said Soares had just returned to the highway after a motor vehicle stop and was traveling about 30 miles per hour when the deer ran out of the woods. Soares tried to avoid the deer but struck it with the push bumper on the front of the police cruiser.
“We have cruiser accidents with deer I don’t know how many times a year, but it’s more than one,” Vetter said.
Some of the major highways where deer are often a problem are Interstate 95, Route 101 and the Spaulding Turnpike, Vetter said.
“They should be aware, particularly in some of the more heavily wooded areas, that the possibility exists that you could look up and a deer could be in your lane,” Vetter said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate