Another View: Casino defeat in Massachusetts is good for New Hampshire
If a clear majority of New Hampshire supports casino gambling, and local control is a central part of any plan considered in our state, then we have the right road map for doing it right.
Gov. Maggie Hassan supports the idea. The GOP-led New Hampshire Senate has strongly endorsed gambling. And a majority of New Hampshire House Democrats voted for gambling.
We are close. Our colleagues said no to gambling last May primarily out of concern over the need for stricter rules and regulations for operating a casino in this state. Right now, the state's Gambling Authority, made up of law enforcement and legislative leaders, is working on recommendations to create a strict new framework for how a casino would operate in New Hampshire. The report is due next month, in time to be incorporated into a proposal for lawmakers.
Rep. Linda DiSilvestro is a Democrat from Manchester, Rep Raymond Gagnon is a Democrat from Claremont, Rep. Laura Pantelakos is a Democrat from Portsmouth, and Rep. Katherine Rogers is a Democrat from Concord.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: The 'experts' look down on you - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 11
- David Harsanyi: The two-state solution is dead - 1
- Pat Buchanan: A rogue President remakes America - 1
- Another View -- Max Boot: Six steps to a better strategy for defeating ISIS - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Wait, when did we finish talking about Gruber? - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: The climate pact swindle - 0
- Roger Simon: So why don't the media report better news? - 0
- George Will: Required reading on a Rockefeller - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 2
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 3
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
- College Roundup: Mabrey leads St. Anselm men; UNH tops BU - 0
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection