Another View: Casino defeat in Massachusetts is good for New Hampshire
If a clear majority of New Hampshire supports casino gambling, and local control is a central part of any plan considered in our state, then we have the right road map for doing it right.
Gov. Maggie Hassan supports the idea. The GOP-led New Hampshire Senate has strongly endorsed gambling. And a majority of New Hampshire House Democrats voted for gambling.
We are close. Our colleagues said no to gambling last May primarily out of concern over the need for stricter rules and regulations for operating a casino in this state. Right now, the state's Gambling Authority, made up of law enforcement and legislative leaders, is working on recommendations to create a strict new framework for how a casino would operate in New Hampshire. The report is due next month, in time to be incorporated into a proposal for lawmakers.
Rep. Linda DiSilvestro is a Democrat from Manchester, Rep Raymond Gagnon is a Democrat from Claremont, Rep. Laura Pantelakos is a Democrat from Portsmouth, and Rep. Katherine Rogers is a Democrat from Concord.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m