Jonah Goldberg: Obama's health care lie freaks Democrats
In an oft-repeated vow, he told the country that "if you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."
The first refuge is that he was simply being "unclear." The "White House could have been clearer in laying the groundwork for this political argument," writes The Washington Post's Greg Sargent. House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Md., says, "I think we should have been more precise." The New York Times' editorial board says, "Obama clearly misspoke when he said that."
Some people already know they don't think the new plans are better. In many cases, they're more expensive with higher deductibles and stiffer co-pays. Better for the consumer and better for bureaucrats or progressive social planners don't always mean the same thing.
If a landlord promises you can keep your dog when you move into an apartment, but then after you sign the lease he takes your dog and replaces it with a stuffed one, he wasn't telling you the truth. The landlord's view that the new dog is better ("No mess! No noise!") is utterly irrelevant to the question of whether the landlord lied — and it doesn't make you a fool for preferring your old dog, either.
Jonah Goldberg is the author of "The Tyranny of Cliches," now on sale in paperback. You can write to him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @JonahNRO.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 0
- George Will: In California, Goldwater 2.0 - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Will big business become the left's faithful lapdog? - 2
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 2
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 6
- Another View -- Stephen L. Carter: Why is the left going after profit? - 10
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket