Headmaster: Accepting more towns could slow Pinkerton enrollment decline
The scenario she presented was based on the school continuing with four sending towns — Auburn, Chester, Derry and Hampstead. Anderson didn't, however, discuss the possibility of Hooksett becoming a new sending town, said Chip Underhill, the school's executive director of public affairs.
Hooksett has agreed to enter into contract negotiations with Pinkerton to send most of the district's high school students there starting next September. If Hooksett reaches an agreement with Pinkerton, it would become the fifth sending town.
Enrollment projections show that enrollment will increase slightly for the 2014-15 school year to 3,030 students. Enrollment will then decrease over the next five years and decline to 2,489 by the 2019-20 school year, the projections from the New Hampshire School Superintendents Association show.
Stable enrollment equates to the best control of program opportunity and tuition costs for taxpayers, parents and families, she said. Also during the meeting, an update was presented on the search to replace Anderson, who is retiring at the end of the 2014 school year.
Consultants for the executive search firm Carney, Sandoe & Associates continued interviewing candidates during the fall.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester education standards proposal derided at public hearing - 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday