Math: The 11th-grade test doesn't add up
On the other hand, most students would find it very useful from the get-go if they could figure out change in their heads, read an amortization schedule, or understand the relationship between price and yield. Also, these types of real-world lessons would — dare I say it — make their math exams a bit more interesting than watching paint dry.
A) Solve for "x" if 3x2 + 20 – 4.5x = 50; or
B) Where are the customers' yachts?
Obviously, it is B, as nearly 75 years ago, Fred Schwed wrote a book about Wall Street with that title, and people are still buying it today.
If you'd like to find out whether you're smarter at math than an 11th-grader, take the practice test yourself. You can find it here: unionleader.com/test
Benjamin Kepple is an accountant and former reporter for The Union Leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 26
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it