In Hampstead, gratitude and remembrance
A recipient of three Purple Hearts and other war medals, the 89-year-old retired colonel spent 34 years in the Army, serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
They also paid special tribute to fallen Marine Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino of Hampstead.
At Monday's ceremony, members of the New Hampshire chapter of Honor and Remember Inc. presented Bertolino's mother, Joyce, with a plaque and an "Honor and Remember" flag.
"The flag serves as a symbol of national gratitude for the hundreds of thousands of American men and women who bravely made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the freedoms that we enjoy. The flag also helps to promote healing for the thousands of families that deserve recognition for the sacrifice of a lost love one," said Bill Geary of Londonderry, director of the New Hampshire chapter whose nephew, Marine Lance Cpl. Michael Geary of Derry, died in combat in Afghanistan in 2010.
"Matt felt a deep calling to serve his country. He believed it to be his duty. He wanted to make this a better world for everyone. He was proud to be an American and equally proud to be a Marine," said Savage, whose own son, Army Cpl. Matthew Stanley, 22, was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms