In Hampstead, gratitude and remembrance
A recipient of three Purple Hearts and other war medals, the 89-year-old retired colonel spent 34 years in the Army, serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
They also paid special tribute to fallen Marine Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino of Hampstead.
At Monday's ceremony, members of the New Hampshire chapter of Honor and Remember Inc. presented Bertolino's mother, Joyce, with a plaque and an "Honor and Remember" flag.
"The flag serves as a symbol of national gratitude for the hundreds of thousands of American men and women who bravely made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the freedoms that we enjoy. The flag also helps to promote healing for the thousands of families that deserve recognition for the sacrifice of a lost love one," said Bill Geary of Londonderry, director of the New Hampshire chapter whose nephew, Marine Lance Cpl. Michael Geary of Derry, died in combat in Afghanistan in 2010.
"Matt felt a deep calling to serve his country. He believed it to be his duty. He wanted to make this a better world for everyone. He was proud to be an American and equally proud to be a Marine," said Savage, whose own son, Army Cpl. Matthew Stanley, 22, was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- IT overload: Bureaucracy on bureaucracy - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 12
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 5
- Lives not lost: As long as we remember - 0
- Slammed: A Seabrook officer indicted - 9
- Abuse in school: A city teacher and a late report - 2
- Computerized firearms: Holder's bad gun idea - 3
- Republican diversity: NH welcomes political ideas - 8
- Reams vs. Foster: A power grab struck down - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire