In Hampstead, gratitude and remembrance
A recipient of three Purple Hearts and other war medals, the 89-year-old retired colonel spent 34 years in the Army, serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
They also paid special tribute to fallen Marine Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino of Hampstead.
At Monday's ceremony, members of the New Hampshire chapter of Honor and Remember Inc. presented Bertolino's mother, Joyce, with a plaque and an "Honor and Remember" flag.
"The flag serves as a symbol of national gratitude for the hundreds of thousands of American men and women who bravely made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the freedoms that we enjoy. The flag also helps to promote healing for the thousands of families that deserve recognition for the sacrifice of a lost love one," said Bill Geary of Londonderry, director of the New Hampshire chapter whose nephew, Marine Lance Cpl. Michael Geary of Derry, died in combat in Afghanistan in 2010.
"Matt felt a deep calling to serve his country. He believed it to be his duty. He wanted to make this a better world for everyone. He was proud to be an American and equally proud to be a Marine," said Savage, whose own son, Army Cpl. Matthew Stanley, 22, was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH