Bill seeks to name Derry bridge for Marine
Councilors voted unanimously in September to name the bridge, just west of the Marion Gerish Community Center, in honor of Lance Cpl. Michael Geary.
While on patrol in Helmand province, Afghanistan, Geary was killed in combat on Dec. 8, 2010. Geary was a member of the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Geary grew up in Derry and graduated from Pinkerton Academy in 2009.
The councilor said she is a supporter of the effort and, if called on, will give testimony. The bill will have to go through the Senate and then the House. If it is approved by the Legislature, it would be up to Gov. Maggie Hassan to approve or veto it.
She said the process for the bill to pass is a lengthy one, and she estimated it wouldn’t be finalized until spring.
The bridge is municipally owned with Derry’s urban compact, and the council has the authority to approve the dedication request, according to an opinion by the Municipal Association.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Students, veterans will be recognized for making state tree decorations - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Sweeney Post events - 0
- Commentary- Mary Tamposi: Let's bring an end to homelessness among veterans - 0
- Veterans help build Nashua Habitat home - 0
- Credit union donates to Honor Flight - 0
- Veterans Briefs: Post 2 events - 0
- Pinkerton freshmen say thanks in cards to veterans - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Weare American Legion plans annual turkey raffle - 0
- Author says Dover's Veterans Day ceremony inspired her book - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Bruins pleased with start in spite of injuries - 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 3
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 2
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 15
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers