Bill seeks to name Derry bridge for Marine
Councilors voted unanimously in September to name the bridge, just west of the Marion Gerish Community Center, in honor of Lance Cpl. Michael Geary.
While on patrol in Helmand province, Afghanistan, Geary was killed in combat on Dec. 8, 2010. Geary was a member of the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Geary grew up in Derry and graduated from Pinkerton Academy in 2009.
The councilor said she is a supporter of the effort and, if called on, will give testimony. The bill will have to go through the Senate and then the House. If it is approved by the Legislature, it would be up to Gov. Maggie Hassan to approve or veto it.
She said the process for the bill to pass is a lengthy one, and she estimated it wouldn’t be finalized until spring.
The bridge is municipally owned with Derry’s urban compact, and the council has the authority to approve the dedication request, according to an opinion by the Municipal Association.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: I'm with Washington Post on school choice - 0
- Thomas Sowell : Where liberalism creates $1.5 million starter homes - 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: Why we sued to overturn NH's education tax credit - 5
- David Harsanyi: No, the right doesn’t want you to get sick and die - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama’s lame sock hop with Putin - 2
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 1
- Deroy Murdock: How red tape slows one life-saving drug's path to market - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 2
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
- Police say three lured contractor to robbery through Craigslist - 0
- Derry library's proposed 2015 budget moves forward - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing