Home » News » Public Safety
Robbery just before Manchester police seminar for small business hammers home safety recommendations
Jim Merrow, owner of Merrow Wholesale Auto listens during the small business safety seminar at the Manchester Police Department on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
About 30 convenience store owners and employees were given these tips, and more, as part of a seminar hosted by the Manchester Police Department Wednesday night that aimed to help convenience stores lessen the chances of being robbed.
"They're typically conducting the robbery to feed some kind of chemical dependency," he said. "You and the robber have something in common. You both want the ordeal to be over with as quickly as possible."
Rondeau said convenience stores can also take several steps to deter would-be robbers from considering their stores. They include wide aisles with low shelves for better visibility, surveillance cameras, greeting every customer so a would-be robber knows that their face has been seen, time-lock safes and bright lights. But, he said, the "most important" thing convenience stores can do is clear windows of advertising that blocks the interior view from the street.
"All those signs that are in your windows are a detriment to you and to us in sometimes stopping robberies," Mucci said.
"It will be helpful to protect ourselves and our employees," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you