Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Best act fast to get our book on NH history
You and I have no doubt heard or seen that pitch numerous times from folks selling everything from aluminum siding to Ginzu knives and Amish fireplaces. So forgive me, but you are about to see it again. And if you like New Hampshire history, or you can't think of something neat to get your mom or Uncle Henry for their birthday or Christmas, please pay attention.
In fact, I was told the day the first shipment of books arrived here last week that we may already have fewer than 800 copies left. That is because so many people have pre-ordered. (Please be patient if you are among them. The pre-order fulfillment is ongoing.)
Perhaps it is just because the earlier book covered fewer years and was more of a picture book. This one combines words, pictures, and headlines dating all the way back to the Manchester Union's becoming a daily paper in 1863.
In the obligatory where-were-you-when department, I was a freshman at Manchester Memorial High School. I do not remember it like yesterday. I do know that one of the older kids on our bus home to Candia confirmed what we had heard: The President had been killed in Dallas. He then, matter-of-factly, announced the bus schedule for the following week, which was Thanksgiving.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NH state trooper gets new state job after 2010 conviction - 18
- Public hearing is set in Portsmouth on plan to beddown 12 KC-46A aircraft - 0
- U.N. denies reports representative in Ukraine seized in Crimea - 0
- Frigid weather has maple producers expecting a 'couple of weeks' delay - 0
- NH Motor Speedway founder selling lakeside estate for NH-record $49 million - 7
- Crotched Mountain honors its farming roots with tree farm honor - 0
- 'Our lost duck friends' remembered - 23
- UPDATE: America selects Preston for top 13 in "American Idol" - 0
- UPDATE: Mont Vernon man chosen as ‘American Idol’ top 20 contestant - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video - 0
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Newest Monarchs making impact - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Aging catchers cause for concern - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
- NH College Notebook: Rye's Drummond sets Smith College scoring mark - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
George Will: The face of IRS behavior