Friends of Pisgah create camp area by state park
The site is near a Pisgah State Park trail, running water and a composting latrine the group erected this summer, creating an ideal overnight spot for campers or hikers passing through.
Friends of Pisgah Council member Kim Nilsen of Spofford said he knows hikers who have passed through Pisgah on trips from Connecticut to Canada.
John Hudachek, a member of the Friends of Pisgah, said the state park Davis Hill Trail carries over onto the 100-acre property owned by the Friends of Pisgah. The camp area with the latrine and lean-to shelter was created less than mile from the trail, so the volunteers plan to erect signs on the property leading campers and hikers to the site.
“I just feel that that is our mission to enhance people’s experience in the park. What better way than to give them another avenue to experience, where they can hike there, camp overnight and then continue hiking,” Hudachek said.
“I’d love to be able to build a shelter or two in Pisgah,” he said. “I love doing that kind of work and developing trails in remote places and giving people a chance to experience what it is like being out in the woods at night, and that’s a whole different experience.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pianist Sean Chen to lead concert, master class at Philips Exeter Academy - 0
- Oil paintings, mixed-media featured in new exhibit - 0
- Pastel Society opens sixth annual juried exhibit - 0
- Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen - 1
- George Benson pays jazzy tribute to genre pioneer Nat King Cole - 0
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra conjures big-band era in Claremont show - 0
- PSU Symphonic Band gets a new start with contemporary wind, band works - 0
- Be city official, concerned citizen for a night - 0
- Dartmouth alum returns to campus with 'Laggies' - 0
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Health costs up for Manchester
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?