NH man witnessed JFK ceremonies perched high in the Capitol Dome
The caisson carrying President John F. Kennedy's casket arrives at the East Front of the Capitol on Nov. 24, 1963, in this photo taken from the catwalk around the Capitol Dome by Jim Westhall of North Conway. At the time, Westhall was a congressional aide to U.S. Rep. Louis Wyman, R-N.H. (JIM WESTHALL)
Westhall shared his exclusive photographs with the New Hampshire Union Leader this week.
One shows the Kennedy casket delivered on a horse-drawn caisson, with a riderless horse behind it. Trees are bare, the lawn has turned its November brown, and hundreds of mourners are grouped in an arc on one side of the plaza, others in a line on the other.
"It was just a quiet picture, a quiet scene. You didn't hear anything; it was stark silence," said Westhall, an author and retired tennis tournament promoter.
Westhall landed on his perch thanks to a fellow congressional aide, Pennsylvania native Gerry Schiappa, who at the time worked for a Pennsylvania congressman whose office was across the hall from Wyman's. Westhall said Schiappa, who became a lifelong friend, befriended everyone in the Capitol. So when the Kennedy procession arrived, Sciappa grabbed Westhall and five others and they made their way to the dome walkway.
Sciappa later worked for Wyman as well. Westhall said Sciappa's widow spends part of the year at a family summer home in Wolfeboro.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal would create formidable giant - 0
- NH College Notebook: Rye's Drummond sets Smith College scoring mark - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness