Mar 12, 2014
Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Deerfield man pleads guilty after heroin death
Joshua Leighton, 23, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled drug and a misdemeanor count of breaching bail conditions on Monday in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Deerfield police arrested Leighton on the drug possession charge while investigating the death of James O’Rourke, according to prosecutors.
Leighton was later charged in July by Deerfield police with providing O’Rourke with a fatal dose of heroin, but prosecutors have not obtained an indictment in that case.
The plea deal was struck after defense lawyer Andrew Wilson asked a judge to dismiss charges against his client.
He received a suspended jail sentence for violating a court order to have no contact with Katelynn Giuffre, of Deerfield, who also faced a drug possession charge, prosecutors said. Leighton had contact with Giuffre at the Exit 5 Park & Ride in Londonderry sometime between Jan. 31 and Feb. 9, according to prosecutors.
Leighton could have faced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison and a $25,000 fine had he been convicted of a drug charge by a jury. Prosecutors dropped a felony witness tampering charge for having contact with Giuffre.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man arrested in Nashua market robbery - 0
- Fugitive of the week arrested in Maine - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- Bedford man sentenced for lobster trap thefts - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 2
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 2
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal