Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
Deerfield man pleads guilty after heroin death
Joshua Leighton, 23, pleaded guilty to possession of a controlled drug and a misdemeanor count of breaching bail conditions on Monday in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Deerfield police arrested Leighton on the drug possession charge while investigating the death of James O’Rourke, according to prosecutors.
Leighton was later charged in July by Deerfield police with providing O’Rourke with a fatal dose of heroin, but prosecutors have not obtained an indictment in that case.
The plea deal was struck after defense lawyer Andrew Wilson asked a judge to dismiss charges against his client.
He received a suspended jail sentence for violating a court order to have no contact with Katelynn Giuffre, of Deerfield, who also faced a drug possession charge, prosecutors said. Leighton had contact with Giuffre at the Exit 5 Park & Ride in Londonderry sometime between Jan. 31 and Feb. 9, according to prosecutors.
Leighton could have faced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison and a $25,000 fine had he been convicted of a drug charge by a jury. Prosecutors dropped a felony witness tampering charge for having contact with Giuffre.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 0
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 6
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 2
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
- Bay State following in NH's footsteps with 'upskirting' law - 2
- Epping supermarket worker arrested after brutal break room attack on female coworker - 10
- Nashua woman arrested in connection with homeless man's hit-and-run death - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 6
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief