Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor
In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, several Armenian families purchased farms in Salem. Traveling the long distance to attend church in Lawrence, Mass., was a hardship, so in October, 1912, a meeting of all Armenians in the area took place, and a building committee was formed.
Much has changed during the past 100 years. Farmland was replaced by shopping malls; the Lawrence church merged with the Salem church; and eventually services were conducted in English instead of Armenian.
Present for Pastor Sam’s first sermon were representations of the NH Conference of the United Church of Christ, the Armenian Evangelical Union of North America, and the Armenian Missionary Association of America.
Throughout the afternoon, guests enjoyed a slideshow of more than 500 photos from events in the life of the church, which played on the restaurant’s many screens. The presentation was prepared by Salem High School student Jack Brunelle, who collected photos from church members.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride