Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets
From left are Scott McQuillen, and Bob Jones of Meredith as he receives the 2013 Maurice McQuillen Award for service to fellow NH veterans, with Colin McQuilllen, 12, and brother Liam, 8, in Manchester, on Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
"I can name others more deserving than I. But I accept this for the issue I am involved in, which is the POW/MIA issue," he explained.
While tending to wounded Marines in Vietnam, Jones came under fire on battlefields and twice was wounded. He was awarded a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor for his heroic actions, state Sen. Jeanie Forrester, R-Meredith, wrote in nominating Jones for the award.
His efforts have earned him recognition from the New Hampshire Senate and Gov. Maggie Hassan.
Jones is vice-president of New England POW/MIA Network and director of its New Hampshire division.
The award is named after Maurice L. McQuillen , who was the first editor of the New Hampshire Union Leader Veterans Page and a U.S. Army veteran of World War II. It has been given out annually since McQuillen's death in 1981.
"We're very proud of those carrying on the work that was very dear to my father's heart," Scott McQuillen said. McQuillen heads the committee that presents the award.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Milford Bible study group to meet on Sept. 10 - 0
- Hundreds attend Mass for slain journalist from NH - 1
- St. George Greek Orthodox pastor heads west - 0
- Pope calls Foleys to offer his condolences - 0
- Inaugural organ concert at Wolfeboro church Aug. 27 - 0
- Knights of Columbus assists with Manchester church renovations - 0
- Religion calendar for NH, beginning Aug. 21 - 0
- St. Luke parish in Plaistow to hold yard sale - 0
- Manchester educator explores history of anti-semitism and the Holocaust - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return