This past Wednesday, CBS News reported that "60 Minutes" reporter Lara Logan was asked to take a leave of absence for her inaccurate Oct. 27th story on the Sept. 11, 2012, Benghazi attack. We published an editorial on Oct. 29th based on the "60 Minutes" report.
Logan's primary source, former security officer Dylan Davies, told a story of his heroism on the night of the attack. His tale was discredited by some rudimentary digging, which "60 Minutes" had failed to do. Also, Logan also seems to have conflated al-Qaida and Ansar al Shariah, a Libyan terror group with ties to al-Qaida.
Logan's other source, a Green Beret commander based in Tripoli, said he told Washington that al-Qaida was going to carry out its threat to attack Americans in Benghazi. He said he told the State Department, "leave Benghazi or you will be killed," but was ignored. As far as we have seen, that portion of the story has not been questioned and remains damning.
It is a shame that Logan and her producer Max McClellan were not more careful. Serious questions remain about why the compound was left so vulnerable, and they deserve answers. Those answers will be harder to come by now.
It also is worth noting that Logan and McClellan are the only people now suspended over Benghazi. In August, Secretary of State John Kerry reinstated the four State Department employees who had been suspended because of the incident. Is this all the accountability there will be after four Americans died in a predictable terror attack?