Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys South Hampton barn
SOUTH HAMPTON — A fire destroyed a two-story barn on Jewell Street early this afternoon.
The fire broke out just after noon inside the barn located behind a house at 35 Jewell St.
Fire Chief Fred Kozacka said the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The property owner, who identified himself only as Andrew, said no one was in the barn when the fire began. He said he was home at the time and called 911.
The 20-by-30-foot barn was leveled in the blaze. The barn’s contents, including a truck, were also destroyed, Kozacka said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused two acetylene tanks inside the barn to “pop” when firefighters arrived on the scene, Kozacka said.
The fire was brought under control within about 30 minutes.
South Hampton firefighters were assisted by crews from Amesbury, Mass., East Kingston, Kensington and Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High School intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls
License revocations for DWI announced
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond