Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys South Hampton barn
SOUTH HAMPTON — A fire destroyed a two-story barn on Jewell Street early this afternoon.
The fire broke out just after noon inside the barn located behind a house at 35 Jewell St.
Fire Chief Fred Kozacka said the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The property owner, who identified himself only as Andrew, said no one was in the barn when the fire began. He said he was home at the time and called 911.
The 20-by-30-foot barn was leveled in the blaze. The barn’s contents, including a truck, were also destroyed, Kozacka said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused two acetylene tanks inside the barn to “pop” when firefighters arrived on the scene, Kozacka said.
The fire was brought under control within about 30 minutes.
South Hampton firefighters were assisted by crews from Amesbury, Mass., East Kingston, Kensington and Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 1
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 3
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 23
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Market Basket: Analysts point to debt