Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys South Hampton barn
SOUTH HAMPTON — A fire destroyed a two-story barn on Jewell Street early this afternoon.
The fire broke out just after noon inside the barn located behind a house at 35 Jewell St.
Fire Chief Fred Kozacka said the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The property owner, who identified himself only as Andrew, said no one was in the barn when the fire began. He said he was home at the time and called 911.
The 20-by-30-foot barn was leveled in the blaze. The barn’s contents, including a truck, were also destroyed, Kozacka said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused two acetylene tanks inside the barn to “pop” when firefighters arrived on the scene, Kozacka said.
The fire was brought under control within about 30 minutes.
South Hampton firefighters were assisted by crews from Amesbury, Mass., East Kingston, Kensington and Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
- Conn. pair injured in ATV rollover in Henniker - 0
- Boy injured on bicycle, hit by pickup in Keene - 0
- Manchester driver dead in crash on I-293 - 0
- Fire destroys historic downtown Berlin building - 0
- Three-alarm fire destroys garage in Nottingham - 0
- Manchester man killed on I-293 apparently unconscious before crash - 0
- Fire destroys another historic Berlin building - 0
- Manchester woman injured in motorcycle crash dies - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester gas station robbed; Police: Could be one in string - 0
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 0
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 7
- On Baseball: NH's Anderson glad to be back - 0
- Republican congressional candidate Lambert says he'd serve only 3 terms - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 4
- You Turn, NH -- Suellen Griffin: There is first aid for mental health, too, and it works - 0
DWI License Revocations
Market Basket shelves growing bare
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility