Home » News » Public Safety
Fire destroys South Hampton barn
SOUTH HAMPTON — A fire destroyed a two-story barn on Jewell Street early this afternoon.
The fire broke out just after noon inside the barn located behind a house at 35 Jewell St.
Fire Chief Fred Kozacka said the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
The property owner, who identified himself only as Andrew, said no one was in the barn when the fire began. He said he was home at the time and called 911.
The 20-by-30-foot barn was leveled in the blaze. The barn’s contents, including a truck, were also destroyed, Kozacka said.
No one was injured in the fire, which caused two acetylene tanks inside the barn to “pop” when firefighters arrived on the scene, Kozacka said.
The fire was brought under control within about 30 minutes.
South Hampton firefighters were assisted by crews from Amesbury, Mass., East Kingston, Kensington and Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
- Hampton police searching for missing Mass. woman - 0
- Officials mum on investigation of Lyman infant's death - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax