Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race
"The Economist" points out that, in one borough of London, white students scored lower than black students in any London borough.
What do low-income whites in England and ghetto blacks in the United States have in common? It cannot be simply low incomes, because children from other groups in the same low-income brackets outperform whites in England and outperform blacks in America.
Those who promote an ideology of victimhood may imagine that they are helping those at the bottom, when in fact they are harming them, more so than the society that the left is denouncing.
Back in the 1940s, before the vast expansion of the welfare state and the ideology of victimhood used to justify it, there was no such gap on test scores between black schools in Harlem and white, working class schools on New York's lower east side.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Supreme Court hears Hobby Lobby's birth control coverage challenge today - 53
- State’s high risk insurance pool to close June 30 - 0
- $2 million federal grant targets New Hampshire health exchange - 3
- Obama allows health plan renewals for 2 more years - 3
- Health insurance help offered in three languages at Elliot facilities - 0
- Ayotte says medical device tax a crusher - 20
- Aetna expects to lose money on Obamacare exchanges despite recent pickup in business - 2
- Feds to look at Obamacare networks after Shea-Porter request - 27
- Shea-Porter tells Obama 'some people' should resign over flawed ACA roll-out - 18
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'