Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek
Police Lt. Mark Newport said police plan to issue more information about the case later today after an autopsy.
The woman's body was found just after 1 p.m. by a construction worker underneath the Sagamore Creek Bridge along Sagamore Avenue.
Newport said investigators aren't sure how long the body has been in the water.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the body was found about 15 feet from the shore. The body was recovered by a firefighter and the scene was turned over to police, Germain said.
The body was badly decomposed, making it difficult for authorities to determine the gender.
"It was there for quite some time," Germain said. State Police Lt. Chris Vetter said State Police are not involved in the investigation.
The discovery fueled speculation that the body could be Marriott's, but Newport insisted that it wasn't her.
Seth Mazzaglia, 31, is accused of murdering the 19-year-old Marriott on Oct. 9, 2012, and then dumping her body into the Piscataqua River from Peirce Island. The river and Sagamore Creek are linked.
Marriott's body has never been found.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test