Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek
Police Lt. Mark Newport said police plan to issue more information about the case later today after an autopsy.
The woman's body was found just after 1 p.m. by a construction worker underneath the Sagamore Creek Bridge along Sagamore Avenue.
Newport said investigators aren't sure how long the body has been in the water.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the body was found about 15 feet from the shore. The body was recovered by a firefighter and the scene was turned over to police, Germain said.
The body was badly decomposed, making it difficult for authorities to determine the gender.
"It was there for quite some time," Germain said. State Police Lt. Chris Vetter said State Police are not involved in the investigation.
The discovery fueled speculation that the body could be Marriott's, but Newport insisted that it wasn't her.
Seth Mazzaglia, 31, is accused of murdering the 19-year-old Marriott on Oct. 9, 2012, and then dumping her body into the Piscataqua River from Peirce Island. The river and Sagamore Creek are linked.
Marriott's body has never been found.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four