Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek
Police Lt. Mark Newport said police plan to issue more information about the case later today after an autopsy.
The woman's body was found just after 1 p.m. by a construction worker underneath the Sagamore Creek Bridge along Sagamore Avenue.
Newport said investigators aren't sure how long the body has been in the water.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain said the body was found about 15 feet from the shore. The body was recovered by a firefighter and the scene was turned over to police, Germain said.
The body was badly decomposed, making it difficult for authorities to determine the gender.
"It was there for quite some time," Germain said. State Police Lt. Chris Vetter said State Police are not involved in the investigation.
The discovery fueled speculation that the body could be Marriott's, but Newport insisted that it wasn't her.
Seth Mazzaglia, 31, is accused of murdering the 19-year-old Marriott on Oct. 9, 2012, and then dumping her body into the Piscataqua River from Peirce Island. The river and Sagamore Creek are linked.
Marriott's body has never been found.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 10
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua